... or so the jingle used to go. Whether or not Ronan belonged in the zoo (still TBD), he clearly enjoyed it during our visit. So did Mom, Nana and I- the San Diego Zoo is a world class facility with some exemplary exhibits housing polar bears, giant pandas, Galapagos tortoises, elephants, tigers and hippopotami.
Some highlights from the day:
- Watching orangutans eat cheerios of the ground with dexterity and furor disconcertingly similar to Ronan
- Seeing polar bears swim, followed by Ronan kissing their silvery likeness outside the exhibit
- Hearing the noisy crunching a Gianta Panda makes when eating bamboo
- Witnessing other parents uncomfortably explain, while hurridly whisking their children to the next exhibit, that the mating Galapagos tortoises were “wrestling”
- Watching the apparently common Hippo routine of sitting submersed at the bottom of a body of water for up to 5 minutes, surfacing for a couple breaths of air, and then back down to the bottom for more relaxation.
Many thanks to Nana for treating us to such a fun day!