Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Bad Dad

I try to fashion myself as a 'Super Dad'... you know, the typical annoying new-age father that talks incessantly about his kids, calls his children's scribbles 'artwork', posts mundane snippets on a blog, and is entirely blind to any fault in either his children or more so his parenting ability/style.



Weebles wobble but don't... rats. So much for that theory.

But really, that's not entirely true. I do see some of my parenting faults. The video above is proof.

Here's why. When filming that video, I watched Nieve list dangerously to the side - a 'good father' would have dropped the camera and lunged in a heroic attempt to save his principessa from the impact with the ground. Note no lunge from me, not even a wobble in the film.

A 'good father' would have at least issued a panicked cry, trying to warn his little buttercup that she was close to the edge of her chair and about to fall. Not a trace of panic can be heard in my voice - only a monotone narration of, "whoah... dunk."

Yes, "dunk." The sound of sweet Nieve's face-plant into the muddy grass.

What's even worse - when I watch that video, I laugh. I do. I cannot explain it - I do not wish harm on anyone, especially my little girl, but yet I chuckle when she falls. Yes, I'm terrible, I'm cruel, I know.

So that's the kind of father I am. Poor Ronan and Nieve. I hope the addage "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" is true... I'd hate to think their suffering will result in no benefit. I have a feeling, though, that if they watch the video, they will chuckle too. Well, at least Ronan did.

4 comments:

Holly Teetzel said...

I think I know where you learned your parenting style! At least you stopped filming when she started crying. Hope little Nieve's face is all healed up for her birthday party :-)

Todd said...

now if she fell onto a CACTUS and laughed that would be a different story:-) a nice little face plant on forgiving grass is nothing. don't sweat it, we wont call cps.

Holly Teetzel said...

Cactus?? CACTUS???? What parent would allow their child to do a face plant into cactus?!?! Todd, your imagination runs wild :-)

Todd said...

hahahahahaha.